Arts and Humanities
Investigator in charge: Francisco Paiva
The group of ARTS AND HUMANITIES considers man as a cultural, sensitive and creative player, analyzing how he is and as he projects himself in space and time. Focuses on the ways, supports and means of expression and fixing the "image of itself ", its commu nication, and critical reception, with special attention to artistic events (film, visual arts, design, performing arts, literature, multimedia). Provides an interdisciplinary approach to the modulation of knowledge and imaginary, develops fundamental and applied research in the Culture and New Humanities strand, in three complementary areas: a) Memory and Identity under media condition, on the dynamics between content, media and technologies; b) Representation as Process, relating to the phenomena of emanation in procedural arts; and c) Intersections of Culture, Information and Interface Design, integrating methodologies of art, science and the humanities to create new knowledge.
The group of Arts and Humanities promotes the
fundamental and applied research on distinct cultural and practical connected activities, pursuing the following
- Understand the several instances that intervene in the modulation of knowledge and of the imaginary.
- Question the performance of technological media in the creation, analysis, mediation, diffusion and reception of works from the past as well as from contemporary culture, in the foment of the capacity to interpret the material and immaterial patrimony, considering their social, symbolic and economical partitions.
- Analyze the intersections and interconnections among the humanities, the arts, science and technology from a diachronic, conceptual and critical point of view.
- Understand the interaction and specificities of the several arts, particularly digital and interactive arts, within contemporary communication and culture.
- Question the existing relationship between practice, experience and cultural fruition with theory, reflection and teaching.
- Deepen the challenges placed to the academy, to society and to contemporary creators, fomenting research and creation partnerships and reflecting about them on, and through, the contemporary cultural scene.
- Increase the linguistic and geographic diversity of the Digital Humanities field.
- Consolidate the created platforms, journals and repositories.